Do you grab a case of bottled water during your grocery run, or perhaps a quick bottle from the gas station? It might seem like a dollar here, a dollar there, but it adds up to a lot of money in the course of a year.
Consider the following:
- The majority of bottled water sold in the US are one dollar, 16.9oz bottles. This averages out to $7.57/gallon, or 2000 times the cost of tap water.
- If we follow the rule of thumb of drinking 8 glasses of water a day, this amounts to half a gallon per person, or $3.79 per person per day.
- Over the course of a year, this amounts to $1383 per person per year. A family of four would consume $5533 worth of bottled water!
Let’s say you’re a savvy consumer, buying in bulk, and pay closer to the average, which is $1.22/gallon.
- If we follow the rule of thumb of drinking 8 glasses of water a day, this amounts to half a gallon per person, or $.61 per person per day, or $222.65 per person per year.
- This amounts to 300 times the cost of tap water
- A family of four would consume $890 worth of bottled water!
Let’s compare this to the Smyth/Cid Water Filtration System, which can handle the drinking water usage of a family of 4.
- The initial cost of the Smyth/Cid Water Filtration System is $395.
- Our gravity-fed filters are designed to last one year regular use. and cost $37.50 to replace.
- The average cost of tap water is $.004 per gallon, or 73 cents per person per year!
- The first year cost of the Smyth/Cid Water Filtration system for one person is $1.09 a day, or $400.
- After the first year, the cost for one person is only the price of a replacement filter and the price of tap water, totaling $38/year. The cost for a family of four is only around $40/year!
While the up-front cost of the Smyth/Cid water filtration system is higher, the long-term costs compared to bottled water is much lower. Compare $575-$890/year for bottled water for a family of four, compared to $400 for the first year and about $40/year after that.
|Water Source||1 Year Cost for 1 Person||1 Year Cost for Family of 4|
|$1 16.9oz Bottles||$1383||$5533|
|Economy Pack Water Bottles||$222||$890|
|Smyth/Cid Filtration with Stoneware Bottles: 1st Year||$400||$400|
|Smyth/Cid Filtration with Stoneware Bottles: After 1st Year||$40||$40|
Need more reasons to ditch bottled water? Find out the environmental impact of the bottled water industry.
- How much money can I save with a water filter: http://home.howstuffworks.com/appliances/energy-efficient/save-money-with-water-filter1.htm
- Bottled water 2000 times costlier than tap, twice gasoline prices: http://www.inquisitr.com/846241/bottled-water-2000-times-costlier-than-tap-twice-gasoline-prices/
- Water: How much should you drink everyday: http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/nutrition-and-healthy-eating/in-depth/water/art-20044256